Queens Borough President, Doctors and Community Leaders to Hold Forum Addressing Health Inequities for Minority and Immigrant Communities and Promote Health Education and Solutions for National Minority Health Month at LaGuardia Community College
QUEENS, NY – On Saturday, April 13, at 10:30 a.m., SOMOS Community Care will bring together Queens Borough President, doctors, and community leaders to LaGuardia Community College for a forum and community health fair to explore minority health disparities in New York City. The discussion will focus on the social determinants of health and challenges currently facing communities of color, especially young people, and how to address them. It will be followed by a community health fair that will run until 3 p.m., offering free health screenings, health education, lunch and food demonstrations.
The health fair will also include a workshop with be gutsy. on expressing emotions through art featuring Ramiro Davaro-Comas and Grace Lang, and a performance by the People’s Theater Project on the realities of the opioid crisis.
SOMOS Community Care – a nonprofit, physician-led network of over 2,000 physicians serving over 700,000 patients in lower income, immigrant-rich communities – works in the most underserved parts of New York City with culturally competent care that reflects the diverse backgrounds of their patients and doctors.
Queens Minority Health Month Fair and Forum
- Melinda Katz, Queens Borough President
- Dr. Henry Chen, President of SOMOS Community Care
- Jo-Ann Yoo, Executive Director of the Asian American Federation
- Sara Mora, DREAMer and Immigrations Rights Advocate
- Dr. Hector Florimon, Queens Pediatrician
- Rebecca Telzak, Director of Health Programs, Make the Road NY
- Marta Michelle Colon, Founder of Buena Gente
- Yadira Garcia, Chef, “Happy Healthy Latina”
- Ramiro Davaro-Comas and Grace Lang, local artists
WHEN: Saturday, April 13, 2019
Forum: 10:30 a.m. – 12 noon
Health Fair: 12 noon – 3 p.m.
WHERE: LaGuardia Community College, 31-10 Thomson Ave. Long Island City, NY 11101 (Enter at Van Dam Street)